Wednesday 17 September 2014

NOT ABOUT HAIR AT ALL

I sometimes wish I still had my other website. This post would be perfect. This one is not about hair at all but about life.

In between sleep gears.... the last time I woke like this I spent the following 6 hrs putting the ideas for what is now my own registered business on paper. By 10am that same day I had my website up and running. Rough but existing none the less.
I'm remembering when I was much younger and my very first career goal was to be a pilot. I went into the science stream in secondary school and my parents did everything to make sure I got extra lessons with the physics (and other subjects) I struggled with that I'd need to work toward becoming that pilot.
After I didn't make the grade, I turned to my second choice, to become an executive chef. By that time I had long flunked the home economics I was lead to believe I needed and I didn't make the grade (despite the extra help) with the subjects to get into "hotel school".
So, there I was no plan C, 16 years old, feeling less than average cause everyone I knew seemed to know where they were headed. Sixth form, UWI, community college, overseas... At that point my parents did what any parent would have done and found something for me to do. 14 years later I'm here.
I say all that to say this. At the end of the day things always work out. The process can't be rushed, it should be trusted every step of the way. I would have LOVED for anything to have sparked my true interest back then. Back then the "artsy people" were not taken seriously, "acted real weird" and traditional thinking very much ruled. Doctor, nurse, lawyer, teacher, bank manager, public servant.
Even though I wish I had enough gumption back then to explore those two career goals more on my own rather than let them die, I wouldn't change the journey for anything. Now that I have the autonomy and a strong foundation I know not to hold back and be afraid of failure. "If you never fail it means you're not even trying."

No comments:

Post a Comment